Spring Semester's here.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Behavior Disorders.
History of Asian Americans.
Buddhism.
Sociology of Sex and Gender.

On campus twice a week from 8am-11am. Two online classes.

Sounds like a pretty damn good schedule, right?

It is, except for the fact that all these classes require EXTENSIVE reading and, of course, tons of writing.

----------------------------

I feel that this semester will be different. Well, at least I hope it will be.

Commuting in the mornings isn't as BAD as I thought it would be. I'm actually surprised that I was able to get myself out of bed on time to get ready for my 8am class. Mind you, I had to leave my house before 6:30am in order to get to CSUN on time. Haha.

Insane? Maybe a little bit. But it does beat staying home and not being motivated to do anything school related and just watch my SOAPs, play the guitar or video games, and crochet all day long -- which sounds tempting.

I have bigger and better plans for myself.

And I suppose by making myself get up early to commute to CSUN for that 8am class is my way of changing the lethargic attitude I've had towards my education.

It's a huge change. Not as life altering as other things may be, but it's a change nonetheless.

I need to rid myself of my habit of being constantly distracted by other things and concentrate on school.

I guess I'll be on a temporary hiatus... 5 months to be exact.
Make sure to check up on me from time to time to see if I'm alive and breathing. Haha.

-------------------------

Chinese American History... be kind to me and have something interesting within the 30+ pages I must read and absorb before class next Tuesday.

Speaking about "history".
I learned about the history of how the "middle finger" came to use today in my AAS class.

Here's some useless, entertaining information for you:

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, "See, we can still pluck yew!"

Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals fricative F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute!

It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird.


Yup. It caught my attention. Now imagine an older Japanese woman telling this story. "Pluck yew." says Dr. Uba. Haha.

--------------------------

I'm hungry. I'm actually craving a Lomo Saltado.
Damnit, Jaena. Why did you have to move?!

0 comments: