catch the beat.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

One. Two. Three. Four.

Seems easy enough right?

Now, try applying the 4-count with a beat.
Still, pretty simple.

Now, apply that same 4-count and beat and try to mix it in with an entirely different beat while making it sound syncopated.
A bit tough, but doable.


If I haven't lost you already, I'm talking about the basis of learning how to mix, spin, or whatever the beat junkies/djs call it.

I must admit, I have been curious to see how well I would do with trying to mesh two different songs together. And curious to see how quickly I could pick up on it.

I've met my match.

I couldn't even grasp the concept of "catching the beat." I've been accustomed to the fact that I learn things rather quickly, especially when they're hands on. But not so much with this "instrument." People make it look so easy.

Turntables, you intimidate me.

Why I bring this up? Well, if you must know, it's because someone has taken the initiative to try to teach me how to spin.

It's not as simple as it looks.

Then again, the person teaching me may have been partial reason to why I felt so uneasy. I've never felt so vulnerable and excited with this person around before. (Ah, anonymity at its best, but I'm sure most of you know who I'm talking about.) And the thought of feeling that way just made me even more nervous than I should have been.

I wanted to learn, damnit.
Why didn't I just listen to what he was saying?

I can be such a 'girl' sometimes. Haha!

It can also be the fact that we were at his grandma's house.
Can you say, awkward!?
She gave me roses from her garden. I honestly don't know how I felt after that.
I didn't know if I should be appreciative or what.
I do know that I felt awkward and uneasy the entire time!

I did thank her though. They were really pretty roses.
See. Pretty. They were closed buds when she gave them to me and they bloomed over night. Amazing!



-----------

Thursday was an odd day.
A good day, surprisingly so. But odd.
(If you read this earlier, it said 'Friday' instead of Thursday. I mixed up days. My bad. I'm only human y'know.)

----------

Yep. That's just ONE of my many stories of awkwardness between myself and that anonymous person. We'll see what happens. But sometimes I feel like such a hypocrite when it comes to my relationship with this person. But that's another story for another time.

----------

I'm excited for the NorCal trip. EXCITED!



Haha. Just like Stewie!

----------

My curiosity gets the best of me sometimes.
Regarding the whole learning how to mix/spin, that's just by using vinyls.
There's a whole revolutionized era who have gone digital.
And that's definitely different technique involved there.
AND I just watched this video about Dj's being able to mix music videos.
Pretty cool. Check it out.




2 comments:

cztt.c said...

umm...i would like to know who this "beat guy" is? you're catching his beats, eh? *nudge, nudge* haha.

and that 2nd vid's pretty dope. i never knew.

Mass Movement TV said...

Sup Mare,

Try doing 8 counts. It's a lot easier to follow. I don't know many people who count the 4's.

-Chris